When the wanderlust in your heart is calling and a backpack is your only remedy, it pays to invest in packing lightly. Don’t let your dreams be weighed down by too much luggage. Read on to discover the essential packing tips for backpackers who are striving to ‘pack light’ and ‘travel far’.
1. Ready Your Rucksack for Adventure: Essential Packing Tips for the Modern Backpacker
Are you ready to explore the world? You’ve probably read all the adventure stories and decided to take the plunge, but before you can really ‘hit the road’, there’s one really important step: packing up your rucksack. As a modern-day backpacker, you’ll need the perfect combination of adventuresome gear and travel essentials to make your journey go smoothly.
Of all the gear you need to consider, your rucksack is by far the most important. Make sure you pick one that’s the right size and weight for your frame and feature set for your needs. There are light-weight travel rucksacks available but you should pay careful attention to the construction material and zippers.
Every backpacker’s needs are different, but here are some general packing essentials to get you started:
- Comfortable shoes
- Insect repellent
- First Aid kit
- Paper map and a compass
- Sleeping bag, tent, and ground mat (if camping)
- Chargers, camera, and other electronics
Pay extra attention to the smaller items that you may forget. Try not to overpack by packing items that are multi-use. Remember, just because you can fit it doesn’t mean you should carry it!
2. Innovative Gear to Make Travel Easier
Travel can be exciting, but it can also be difficult and overwhelming. Thankfully, technology is making vacation and business trips easier and more efficient than ever. From apps to help you find the perfect destination to items that reduce the annoyance of airports, here are the best tools to make your trips smoother.
- PackPoint: Weather can often make or break your getaway. PackPoint is a free mobile app that helps users pack for every trip with recommended items based on the local forecast. It even considers the activities and destinations you plan to visit.
- Lugg: Got a ton of luggage, but no wheels to cart them around? Flip on your phone’s Lugg app for pickup and drop off help with your bags. It’s perfect for travelers weighed down with too many suitcases.
- Airline Club Passes: Skip the long queues at the airports by signing up for club membership programs. Memberships are available for a variety of airlines, from American to United. Enjoy benefits like lounge access and expedited security.
- Sleep Mask and headphones: Block out the world with an eye mask and headphones combo. You’ll be amazed how easy it is to catch some shut-eye on long flights and car rides.
- Battery case for your phone: Don’t let your smartphone die while you’re out and about. Battery cases allow you to keep your device powered up during your travels.
Having the latest and greatest gear is always fun, but don’t forget the tried-and-true technologies. Portable chargers, luggage locks, and international power adapters all help to make traveling easier.
Traveling can be stressful, but with the right tools it is easy to enjoy your trip. So don’t forget to pack the right items and make the best of your journeys.
3. Travelling Light? Choose the Right Clothes
It is important to choose the right clothes to travel light, as it can add unnecessary weight and inconvenience to your journey. Here are some tips on choosing the right clothes for your trip:
- Choose Breathable Fabrics: Choose light breathable fabrics that are suitable for the weather conditions that you will be travelling in. Cotton, silk and linen are good options.
- Pack Light Colours: Darker clothes will need to be washed more often, so packing light colours is a great way to create more outfits from fewer pieces of clothing.
- Roll Your Clothes: Rolling up your clothes instead of folding them will help to reduce wrinkles and create more space in your suitcase.
Don’t be overly concerned about being fashionable when you are travelling. Comfort is key when choosing the right clothes for a journey. Loose clothing that you can move freely in is a great option, at it will give you flexibility when exploring your destination.
Choosing clothes for your visit that can be layered will also be a great way to save space. Have a few key items that can be styled in multiple different ways and you will have all sorts of different choices available to you.
4. Pack Smart and Stay Connected
When travelling, having the right technology and gadgets can make a huge difference – allowing you to stay connected and capture your journey with ease. The key is to keep it light and to pack smart. Here are some top tips for travelling with tech:
- Invest in a secure hard drive. When travelling, your most precious memories are in the form of images and videos. Make sure you invest in a secure hard drive so that nothing can happen to your cherished memories – and so your laptop or mobile phone have some extra storage space.
- Pack a power bank. Chances are you’re going to want to stay connected while travelling. Having a power bank ensures you don’t run out of battery at a crucial moment, whether you’re posting the perfect selfie or finding your way back home via Google Maps.
When it comes to technology, it’s important to strike a balance. Compare prices and shop around for places where you can hire a laptop, purchase a local sim card or even get free Wi-Fi in your hotel. Don’t forget to take a break – it’s important to enjoy the present and take in your destination, tech-free!
5. On the Go Essentials for Everyday Comfort
We’re all living on-the-go lives nowadays, so having some everyday essentials for staying comfortable while you’re moving is important. You want comfort no matter where you’re going, so here are five necessary components to your on-the-go comfort toolkit:
- A Water Bottle. Make sure you maintain hydration while you’re out, especially as the weather gets hotter. A good quality, refillable water bottle is the key!
- Comfortable Shoes. You want to spend your days in good shoes, no matter where you’re heading. Invest in some comfortable shoes, like trainers or sandals, that you can wear no matter what.
- A Crossbody Bag. You never know what tasks you need to have on hand. A versatile and spacious bag is the best choice for your on-the-go items.
- A Phone Charger. It’s always convenient to have a charger, no matter whether you’re running errands around town or commuting to work. Keep your phone’s battery charged up, just in case.
- Sunblock. Cover up and protect your skin no matter where you’re going! Make sure you keep sunscreen or sunblock in your bag, especially when you’re out in the sun for long periods of time.
Having these five items in your everyday arsenal is the perfect comfort set to have while you’re out and about. From hydrating to protecting to charging – it’s all about keeping you going and comfortable.
6. Taking your Next Trip? Here’s How to Optimize Your Pack
If you’re planning an upcoming trip of any length, it’s important to make sure your packing is optimized. From knowing what to bring, to fitting it all in, there are definitely a few tips and tricks you can use to ensure you’re off and away!
Identify your needs. Just because it would be nice to bring extra shoes or a pretty dress, doesn’t mean you need it. Identifying only the items that you must have to enjoy your trip is key. Don’t forget to include necessary items like sunscreen, medication, and travel documents.
Make lists. To easily stay organized when planning, write a list of the items you need. It’s much easier to track and find essential items when you know exactly what you must bring or have already brought before.
Lighten the load. As you check and double-check your bag, lighten the load wherever you can. Leave behind items you can do without – those extra books or heavy cosmetics. Instead, choose small items like mini shampoo-bottles or opting for reusable items like a refillable water bottle.
These simple steps can help to make sure your next trip is as stress-free as possible. From ensuring you don’t leave anything behind, to making sure you don’t overspend on luggage fees, optimizing your packing can make for a successful journey.
- Identify your needs.
- Make lists.
- Lighten the load.
Don’t let packing overwhelm your journey of exploration. Dare to pack light and travel far. With these essential packing tips, you can enjoy the freedom and lightness of the classic backpacker experience while enjoying the journey with all the comforts you need. Bon voyage!